Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Centers

I started using my new center rotation leis yesterday and it was wonderful.  I don't know why I didn't do this in first grade.  I rotate classrooms every three months, so I needed something that wasn't permanent and easy to move.  I, also, share a classroom with a morning Kinder teacher, so I was short on space.  This is what I came up with, totally portable.


This is what it looked like after the kids picked their centers, it was originally full on both sides. 

 Two big cookie sheets from Target for $4.99 each.  Bull dog clips from Wal-mart (2 packages) for $1.88 each.  My laminated center signs and the leis.  I stuck in on the ledge of my whiteboard during center time, then back on my desk at the end of the day.  No one was playing with the leis during the day.



I put the number of leis on the clip based upon how many kids can go to that center.  For example, kitchen had 2 leis because I only wanted 2 babes to go to that center.  If they wanted to change their center, they cleaned up the center they were working on - put the lei back on the clip. Then checked to see which color leis were on the board.  There was no fighting, at all.  I loved it.


Here is one of my little ones playing with puzzles wearing her lei.

I was checking out Monday Make-Its and was inspired by Heather's sand sensory box. This is her box below.  You need to check it out, because she made it academic.


I thought it would be perfect for TK, so I checked out her inspiration link from Rubber Boots and Elf Shoes.  Sandi has made a bunch of them, I loved her scissor practice bin.  I needed it, now, like 5:30 in the morning now.   I emailed her and asked what size her container was.  She got back to me immediately, so sweet of her.  So I went to Wal-mart before I headed to school at 6 in the morning and bought my first box.


I filled it with scraps of paper, the kids loved it.  It was the favorite center of the day.  They cut pieces of paper and glued them to a plain sheet of copy paper.  It was perfect for cutting and gluing skills.  I think I am going to add some scrapbook paper scraps today.  My mind is spinning with ideas for these boxes, shocking I know.  Of course, I need for the witness (hubby) to go back to Hawaii next week.

Today's little person quote, "Mrs. Sasaki, he isn't coloring in the lines.  Is he going to get a time-out when he gets home."

I love my class.


Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea. And you can see who is not in their correct center really fast. I might even do with my first graders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your center rotations is awesome! If I ever go back to self contained I'm going to do this! :)
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cool to see your scissors and cutting bin. Made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE these necklaces, and they are exactly what I was envisioning for my kindergarten centers! Where did you find them or how did you make them?

    Thanks,

    Kendall

    ReplyDelete